'D'yer wanna cam alang?'
Spring has sprung and if you're anything like us here at Brathay, the signs of natural growth everywhere and those few sunny days, will have got you thinking about your own next personal challenge and outdoor adventure.
Where better to go than Scotland?
Famous (amongst other things) for her legendary heroes; mythical monsters and the incredible scale and beauty of the scenery, we are boldly crossing the borders, as we launch our new expedition season with trips through the Great Glen and the Knoydart Peninsula.
Who’s this expedition for?
Whether you are travelling alone (18+); holidaying with friends (18+) or are exploring with your family, this expedition could be perfect for you, if you:
- Need to meet your DofE Open Gold “residential” criteria
- Are studying human and/or physical geography and want to bring the landscape and its history to life
- Are interested in a semi-supported journey on foot, by boat (using your own paddle power) or perhaps even a combination of both
- Want an adventure that will challenge you both mentally and physically
- Need a holiday with a purpose
- Are stuck for ideas and want to do something out of the ordinary
- Are craving more adventure but need some support with the logistics.
How will we be travelling?
This is the exciting bit! And unless we have really treacherous weather, the majority of our Great Glen expedition takes place in one of our distinctive Voyageur canoes. The Voyageur is an 8.8 metre canoe capable of carrying up to 12 people at a time.
When are we going?
- 30th June - 6th July (Great Glen Voyageur)
- 7th – 13th July (Great Glen Voyageur)
- 27th July – 2nd August (Knoydart DofE, Open Gold Residential)
What does it cost?
At only £64 per day, for 7 days and 6 nights (that’s £450 per person in total) and including all of your food; technical kit and transport costs within the expedition, we think it’s a bargain.
(But if money is a barrier for you then do talk to us, as bursaries may be available in certain circumstances).
What kit will I need to bring?
Brathay will provide all of the special and technical kit required for the expedition.
We suggest that you bring the following:
- Any Personal medication
- 1 x set of clothes for paddling in - Avoid cotton based garments (particularly jeans) as these are cold if they get wet & are slow to dry
- 1 x complete spare change of clothes to carry in the Voyageur (again avoid cotton if you can)
- 1 x set of camp clothes & footwear
- Towel (A light weight pack towel is best)
- Personal Toiletries - including midge replant (We’ve found SMIDGE works well: Click here for more information)
- Sun cream and Sunglasses (as even if it’s not sunny it can be really bright on the open stretches of water)
- And if you are bringing a mobile phone you may wish to bring a waterproof cover & power back up (but please remember that, there are no charging points on the Glen & Wi-Fi is very limited).
What do I need to do now?
Call Amanda on 015394 39738 with any other queries and to check availability.
Pay a £99 deposit to reserve your place.
So don’t delay, get it sorted today; our closing date is 31st May and your next adventure is just a phone call away!